'Healthy Enough' Fruity Pecan Flapjacks

I enjoy baking, an interest that grew from the talents of my mum who bakes the best cakes (especially on my birthday). Now though I realise that doing lots of baking and then eating what I've baked isn't exactly the healthiest thing, so I started experimenting and trying to make my favourite bakes a little bit healthier than the originals.
These flapjacks are still nice and sweet without all the added refined sugar, using fruit and honey instead. They may not be as gooey as you'd get with normal flapjacks, but that's just part and parcel of making a recipe healthier. They're a perfect snack or great if you've slept through your alarm and need to grab something quick to eat before you leave the house.

I'm aware I could still make changes to create an even healthier flapjack, but I'm a student on a budget, and I'm sure many of you won't want to be spending £££ on ingredients you probably won't use on a regular occasion.





Ingredients
  • 50g butter, softened
  • 4tbsp honey
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 apple, peeled and grated
  • 250g rolled oats
  • 40g pecans, chopped
Method
  1. Heat your oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
  2. Grease 20cm x 20cm tin and line with baking parchment.
  3. Heat the butter and honey in a pan over a low heat until melted.
  4. Remove the pan from the heat.
  5. Add the banana, apple and 100ml of warm water, not boiling, to the honey-butter mixture. Combine well.
  6. Put the oats and pecans into a large bowl. Mix in the fruity mixture slowly, ensuring that all the oats are coated.
  7. Pour mixture into the lined tin.
  8. Bake for 45 minutes until golden and pulling away from the sides of the tin.
I hope these taste just as yummy as they did for me! Let me know how you get on and if you added anything different, maybe coconut or orange zest. 

For more like this subscribe via email and follow my socials.

Much love x

No comments