3 Tips for Getting Fit (Without Going to the Gym)


Sorry for the silence - I definitely underestimated how easy it would be to juggle this blog and university work (which has been relentless over the last two weeks) - but I'm back and really enjoyed writing this article. I wrote a very similar one for the February edition of the BathTime (the University of Bath's student newspaper), and thought it was a great post to share with my online readers too. I hope lots of you find it helpful!

..................................................................................................................................................................

The days are still short, the weather is variable, and the gym is absolutely rammed. Despite being fond of my exercise, I'm more of a 'class-goer' than a 'gym-goer'. I hate a busy gym, and I know that's one of the key things that puts people off joining one, so then the question remains how do you get fit without tackling the hordes of gym goers? It's easier than you think, and can be completely free!

Here are 3 of my top tips.

1. Don’t mind the unpredictable weather? Start running!
No matter where you live there will undoubtedly be a huge variety of routes you can take, whether that be along the roads or across fields if you'd prefer and quieter, more secluded run. If you live in the city I'm sure you'll have a number of parks perfect for a run. Don't worry if you've never gone for a run in your life, everyone has to start from somewhere; for your first few start with just going on a brisk walk and then take it up to a jog when you feel comfortable. If you need a beat for your run then have a listen to the ‘5K on a Friday’ playlist, with songs selected specifically for runners, and whilst you're there give their podcasts a listen.

2. Give a fitness class a go.
These are super easy to get involved in, have a look at the timetable for your local sports centre and you're sure to find a range of classes available. Class types range from circuits to boxercise to dance-fit, the choices are (relatively) endless. These obviously come at a cost, although most are usually priced reasonably (in the region of £5). I enjoy a class workout as I tend to push myself much more when there's someone telling me what to do without having to pay the high price requested by a personal trainer. It's also a really sociable thing to do, bring a friend along and have a laugh as you try to understand what on earth a 'mountain climber' is! I'd really recommend yoga for someone looking for something a bit more relaxed, it's not only really good for your flexibility and core strength, but great for your mental health.

3. If you prefer your own company, try a home workout.
Have a look on YouTube, purchase a fitness DVD from Amazon or compile your own set of exercises, all you need is a small area to manoeuvre. My top picks for home workouts would be The Body Coach and Grace Fit UK. You don’t even need any equipment! Although, having said that, I would highly recommend purchasing a set of resistance bands (incredibly cheap compared to weights) to increase the intensity of your workout. Alternatively, living in the age of Instagram, all you need to do is search 'home workout' and you're on your way, so really there's no excuse not to give it a go.


Let me know if you found this helpful by leaving a comment! Don't forget to follow my social media accounts too!

Much love!

No comments